State employees elect two representatives to serve as members of the State Insurance Committee for a three-year term of service. The committee sets plan benefits, establishes the monthly premiums and provides for the management of the group insurance coverage available to state employees.
New terms of office begin July 1, 2013. An election will be held this spring to determine the two representatives. Individuals who want to be a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Candidates must be participants in the State Group Insurance Program.
- Employees who are employed in any department represented by an ex-officio member of the committee are not eligible for candidacy. These agencies are: Comptroller of the Treasury, Department of Treasury, Department of Commerce and Insurance, Department of Personnel and Department of Finance and Administration.
- Faculty and staff of the state colleges and universities are not eligible to run as state employee representatives or to vote in the election. In accordance with state law, a representative from higher education is appointed to the committee through a process established by the Tennessee Higher Education Commission.
- Each applicant will be requested to submit a brief resume. A resume form will be provided with the qualifying petition.
- To be included on the ballot, the applicant must submit a qualifying petition signed by at least 25 state employees who participate in the State Group Insurance Program and who recommend the candidacy of the petitioner to Benefits Administration by the deadline. We suggest that potential candidates obtain more than 25 signatures to ensure that they qualify for candidacy.
- The qualifying petition and resume must be returned to Benefits Administration in Nashville no later than 4:30 p.m. on March 1.
Members interested in having their name placed on the official ballot may obtain qualifying petitions from Alisa Minton, Benefits Administration, 19th Floor William R. Snodgrass Tennessee Tower, 312 Rosa L. Parks Avenue, Nashville, TN 37243-1102 (phone 615-741-8669).
Forms are also available on Benefits Administration’s web site, http://www.tn.gov/finance/ins/sic_election.shtml. Or you may contact TSEA at (615) 256-4533 or 1-800-251-8732.