State employees elect two (2) representatives to serve as members of the Board of Trustees of the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System for a three-year term.
New terms of office begin on July 1, 2013. An election will be held to elect two (2) representatives. Each candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Candidate must be a State employee and be fully vested in the retirement system to serve as a member of the Board of Trustees. Members joining TCRS on or before June 30, 1979 attain vesting after four (4) years of current creditable service. Members joining after June 30, 1979 are vested after five (5) years of current creditable service. Any candidate in doubt concerning his or her vesting status may contact the retirement system. NOTE: Employees classified as teachers for retirement purposes are excluded.
- Employees who serve in any of the departments represented by ex-officio members are not qualified for candidacy. Those departments represented by ex-officio members are: Judicial, Comptroller of the Treasury, Treasury, Finance and Administration, Human Resources, and Secretary of State.
- A qualifying petition signed by at least twenty-five (25) State employees who are TCRS members and who recommend the candidacy of the petitioner must be filed with the Division of Retirement.
- Each applicant is requested to submit a brief resume including such information as education, work history, state service, etc. A resume form will be attached to each qualifying petition.
- The qualifying petition and resume must be returned to the Division of Retirement by 4:30 p.m., Friday, March 1, 2013.
Members interested in having their name placed on the official ballot may obtain qualifying petitions from the TCRS, 10th Floor Andrew Jackson State Office Building, 502 Deaderick Street, Nashville, Tennessee 37243-0201.
These forms are also available at http://www.treasury.state.tn.us/tcrs/index.html and click on Trustee Elections or by calling Melissa Davis at (615) 741-1971. Or you may contact TSEA at (615) 256-4533 or 1-800-251-8732.