The 112th Tennessee General Assembly reconvened on Tuesday, January 11, 2022.
Livestreams and videos of legislative meetings and activities are accessible on the legislative calendar page at this link: https://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/schedule/
We have had a positive start to the legislative session. TSEA Executive Director Randy Stamps and Government Affairs Director Terry Carroll have already had very important and productive meetings with House Speaker Cameron Sexton and Lt. Governor Randy McNally. Director Stamps thanked both for their tremendous support in the last two budgets of state employees by way of pay increases and market adjustments and asked them to continue to fund pay increases for state employees who continue to face adversity while working through very difficult times over the last two years.
TSEA is also working on finalizing this year’s legislation and securing sponsors. Our legislative priorities for 2022 are listed below.
Legislative Priorities for 2022
- Funding for Pay4Performance increases
- Supporting an updated market adjustment study and funding of the needed revenue to bring all classes to the market rate
- Encourage market studies at all Universities including the necessary funding
- Increased access to all state employees
- Secure continued funding of TCRS to reach 100 percent for state and higher ed employees
- Secure funding to continue the state’s 80 percent portion of health insurance for state and higher ed employees
- Retention bonus based on pay for performance
- Restore the legislative intent of the burden of proof in a disciplinary hearing to the state
- Equalization of Correctional Teacher Pay
- Support elimination of private prisons
- Increase in 401 (K) match
- Monitor any caseload legislation for DCS case managers
- Advocate for moving the ranges for all classifications
- Pursue further discounts for state employees at state parks
We continue to work with Commissioner Nichols to improve working conditions for members in DCS. We just received a substantive response from her regarding issues and concerns raised at a recent Shelby County DCS focus group held by TSEA and will be communicating with both the department and members to keep moving forward. We are also advocating for full funding of the budget including additional raises for the case manager series that Commissioner Nichols included in her budget request.
Save These Dates
Upcoming Legislative Dinners:
Thursday, February 10, 5:00 p.m. – Shelby County
Thursday, February 17, 6:00 p.m. – Davidson County
Saturday, February 19, 9:00 a.m. – Upper East TN Legislative Breakfast
TSEA Lobby Day:
Tuesday, April 5 – Nashville, TN
Monitor your email for specific details about these events.
Gov. Bill Lee’s State of the State Address:
Tennessee Governor Bill Lee this week announced he will deliver his annual State of the State address in the Tennessee State Capitol House Chamber on Monday, January 31, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. CT. During his fourth annual State of the State address, Governor Bill Lee will outline his budget and legislative priorities for the year.
To view the State of the State address live, visit the following links on the broadcast date and time listed above:
Gov. Lee’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/GovBillLee
Gov. Lee’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/govbilllee
Thank you for being a member of TSEA and for your dedication and commitment to serving Tennessee’s citizens. Please continue to monitor your email for the latest updates.
Not a member? Join TSEA today at https://tseaonline.org/jointsea/
Comments are closed.